Pages

Saturday, September 19, 2015

Melbourne - Part 2

As someone who grew up in a city, I feel at ease with huge crowd around me. I like being surrounded by the hustle and bustle (most of the time, with exceptions), but only just enough so I can get lost in the city and wrap myself up in my own thoughts, and not too much that it might overwhelm me. The lights, the trams' bells, the street performances, the quirky fashion, the cafes sprinkled all over the city. They stimulate my senses, in a good way. Here I spent my time walking around, stopping to breathe and feel the drizzle on my cheek; I'd let all of me soak in everything that I see, feel, hear, smell, touch. The city's tempo is fast, you can tell by the average speed of people walking on the streets, but it's not as fast as those in New York City. You won't get the irritated grunts whenever you slow down. People are very expressive too. Every day that I was there I saw people with Gothic makeup and eccentric clothes, which initially led me to think that there was some theme party or festival that I didn't read about in the visitor's guide, but later on I realized it's just who they are. In my wildly imaginative mind though, I was almost convinced that there's a whole group of them, part of Addam's family or something, that congregates every evening at some secret place, and we're just not privy to it. Boohoo. Not invited cuz we're not cool enough.  >.<  At one point I was so curious I almost went up to them, oh I don't know, for a picture maybe? Or a casual chat, and maybe get an invitation to the secret party. But I was too timid for my own liking, and they just walked on by. I was left alone with my own thoughts. Gah.

A mother trying to capture her son in still pictures but he just couldn't be bothered. haha. 

One of the things I really enjoyed while I was there was visiting museums. The picture above is of the National Gallery of Victoria- NGV International (they have another one called NGV Australia). I wanted to go back there to check out the exhibition of Catherine The Great's private collection, but never got the time to do so. As it is, there's already so much to see in the free sections. It's a pity I missed it. Ever since we learned about her during one history class I've held this fascination about her, wondering what her life was like back in the old Russian days before communism. Must've been a heck of a woman to lead the country back when women were expected to just take care of the family and do nothing else. Ah well. Perhaps another day, in another city.

Check out this award winning dress suit in the contemporary art section. 
If you have too many utensils and don't know how to utilise them, here's an idea. :P  

I thought this chair was kinda cool. I'd get it if it was for sale. 

Federation Square. 

Fed Square seems to be where all the school kids hang out during their lunch break. Either the schools are all very close by, or they have very long breaks. So nice to be students there. They get to go for excursions every day it seems. One day to NGV, another day to ACMI (Australian Centre for the Moving Image), and another to Queen Victoria Markets. Seeing them having so much fun made me slightly envious of their school days.


On one of those days there was a performance- a mime show interacting with the school children. The event was to raise awareness of hearing problems, be it acquired or congenital, and after the performance they screened some video clips of people sharing their hearing problems and how getting a hearing aid helped change their lives. They had booths nearby encouraging people to get their hearing checked for free too. I gave it a pass... telling myself I probably don't need it yet.  

Fed Square at night. A lot quieter but still nice and pretty. 


Yarra River, which according to my friend is quite polluted. Once there was a guy who canoed there and got food poisoning, which after investigation seemed to be related to this river. I don't know how true this is, I just thought it's a pretty intriguing story and now everytime I think of this river that's what I'd picture in my mind. lol. 

View from where my friend lives. That's Flinders Street Train Station, and behind it Yarra River. Every morning around 11am there will be two guys on the rooftop taking a ciggie break. Fun fact.

This is Flinders St train station again, at the front entrance. And a tram. 
Minutes before taking this picture, I was listening to this news anchor reporting on a strike that tram drivers are having to protest against the low wages. 

To be continued...

No comments: