Pages

Saturday, September 19, 2015

Melbourne - Part 1

Melbourne, or Australia in general, has always been on my list of places to visit. But I was never really serious about making my way there, mainly because I have friends and relatives there whom I know will always be there so I can go anytime I want and there'll still be people I know to show me the place they call home. There's always the next year. Then one day when I found out that my best friend was going to move to Japan, I have this sense of urgency to visit, before she leaves. It's not that I can't go when she's not around, it's just that to me Melbourne is her place, her territory, and it'd mean so much more to see how this place has shaped her, and what this place means to her. Also, I haven't really spent more than a few hours each time I see her for the past decade or so, and that too I only get to see her once a year- if I'm lucky. So this trip would be a great time to just catch up and hang out. Thus began my journey to the Land Down Under. :)

I spent about a week in Melbourne, of which two days were spent in the country. On our way there we stopped at Mornington Peninsula for lunch at a winery, then headed for Sandy Point for the night. The next morning we went to Wilsons Promontory National Park for a walk/hike, before heading to Philip Island to see the penguins, and back to the city. Some pics below that highlight the best of the two days.
The winery where we had lunch. Weather was exceptionally good that day. Gentle breeze with warmth from the sun. 

 I don't usually like bacon, but this is delish. Especially with the avocados. 

Meatballs. Just couldn't get enough of it. 

Tomatoes with feta cheese and balsamic vinegar and dunno-whatelse but it's really good. 

Some bird. Finger-licking good. 

This pic doesn't do enough justice to the mushroom with sour cream on top. 
It's easily on my top 3 list of all the dishes with tried. 

By now you can tell I'm no food writer nor food critic. 
But I do know how to appreciate really good food. 
This meal was one of the highlights during my time in Melbie. Will go back for more. 

Okay enough of food. This is Wilsons Prom National Park. Everything is just so blue and so green and breathtakingly beautiful. For a few hours that morning, I felt at peace. Didn't want to think about anything. Just wanted to enjoy the moment, and revel in being alive. 

Bestie and I. Friends since 7, bff since 11. 

Peekaboo. 
Caught sight of a bird soaring high. 
My camera's lens couldn't capture any closer, this is as close as it gets. 

Some filming crew. A capsized boat and half naked boy with a bigger Tarzan like man. 
I wonder what film is this. 

Felt like I was transposed momentarily to heaven. 

Another slice of heaven, frozen forever in pixels. And in my memory. 

Penguin Parade Park in Philip Island.   
And I'm only slightly taller than the Eocene (prehistoric) penguins. :'( 

That's about it for now. Don't want to take up too much space posting photos. I've organised and shared my other photos on my Flickr. Check it out if  you want. :)  Cheers. 

1 comment:

R. Glipglorp said...

I should not have read this while verrryhungryjustbeforedinnerARGH

I'm so glad you had a great time! And that you found stellar food to eat, too... :)